Monday, June 22, 2009

Jitterbug Perfume



Rude, irreverent, and pagan to its core, “Jitterbug Perfume” is the perfect escape from the mundane world. I first read this book in the early 1990s, and I really enjoyed its mythological themes. A few weeks ago I noticed it on my bookshelf again, and I realised that a dose of its gentle absurdity was just what I needed. This book, and many other titles by the author Tom Robbins, can still be found in bookshops, which indicates that many other readers also feel the need to acquaint (and reacquaint) themselves with his clever writing.

Jitterbug Perfume is the tale of King Alobar and his quest to evade death. Alobar makes it quite clear that he doesn’t fear death, he merely resents it! He says, “Everything must die, apparently, and I am no exception. But I want to be consulted. You know what I mean? Death is impatient and thoughtless. It barges into the room when you are right in the middle of something, and it doesn’t bother to wipe its boots.”

The other main character in this novel is the Horned God Pan. His entourage of nymphs make an appearance too. Tom Robbins is someone who obviously knows a great deal about the Old Ways, and although he writes about these subjects with a sharp sense of humour, he also does it with an eye for detail that leaves us in no doubt that he harbours an affinity for gods, metaphysics, divination, and spirituality. He’s also keen on vegetables. You’ll understand what I mean when you read the first page. And it’s obvious that he has a deep disdain for fundamentalism of any kind.

The writing style of Tom Robbins is unique. His books are filled with bizarre similes and playful descriptive prose that had me chuckling out loud as I was reading. And he often talks to the reader as he’s describing events that are unfolding, which feels a bit odd at first, but you soon get used to it.

If you are offended by sexual references (after all, this story features Pan!) or if you don’t like to have your way of thinking challenged by satire (and satyrs!) then read a Harry Potter book instead, but if you don’t mind some ribald reading material that is as mischievous as the Goat-footed God himself, then grab a copy of this book as soon as you can.

The last three words left me with a smile on my face, one that stayed with me long after the book was reluctantly closed. And when that smile did wear off, I was found hunting through my bookshelves for another Tom Robbins book, so that I could enjoy more of his wonderful wit and numinous nonsense.

***

Post Script: In my library I just found another Tom Robbins book called “Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas” and after a quick flick through it, I noticed that it was all about Tarot, frogs, and a monkey that happens to be a born-again Christian. I’m hooked already!

No comments: